Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Jennifer Lopez talks for the first time of 'nervous breakdown' she suffered seven years ago

Jennifer Lopez has revealed that she suffered 'a kind of nervous breakdown' seven years ago.

The actress and singer blamed overwork and stress for her illness. She said she refused medication, instead resting until she felt better.

She told website The Daily Beast that she 'froze' while filming Enough in 2001.

'I was like - I don't want to move. I don't want to talk. I don't want to do anything. I had a nervous breakdown,' she said.
Jennifer lopez

Jennifer Lopez glows in white at the Elle awards in Hollywood: The new mother has admitted suffering a nervous breakdown seven years ago

'There were no signs leading up to it. You really don't know what's happening at first. I was going, what's going on? It's funny what tricks your mind plays on you. I just didn't want people to think I was falling apart.'

Lopez suffered the breakdown shortly before marrying her second husband, dancer/choreographer Cris Judd.

Enough, which was released in cinemas the following year, starred Lopez as a battered wife fleeing her abusive husband, played by Billy Campbell.

But the new mother said she did not experience post-natal depression after the birth of twins Max and Emme in February.

'People kept prepping me for it, but it didn't happen,' she said. 'At the tenth day after giving birth all that chemical stuff did peak - that hormone thing - and I did cry a lot that day because I was having so much trouble moving (after her caesarean section).'

In the revealing interview Lopez, whose father David has been a Scientologist for more than two decades, denied being a member of the religion but said she was 'bothered' by people's negative attitudes towards it.

'I just wish that people wouldn't judge it without knowing what it is,' she said. Lopez added that she would be happy for her children to attend a Scientology school.

And she defended herself against her 'diva image'.

She said: 'Once you have a lot of success you become a target in many ways. I just think the whole diva thing is a misrepresentation of who I am. I worked really hard. I kept my focus on the right things. And still even with that they find stuff to pick on.'
Jennifer lopez

Stressful: Jennifer was filming her role in Enough opposite Billy Campbell when she suffered the breakdown

No comments: