Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Charlotte Church: 'I went into labour in a B&Q car park'

New mother Charlotte Church has revealed how she went into labour while shopping at B&Q and then gave birth at home while watching the Wales v Japan Rugby World Cup game with boyfriend Gavin Henson.

The 21-year-old recalled wecolming baby Ruby Megan 12 days ago after dramatic scenes at the homeware store's car park.

She told OK! magazine that after her contractions began, "[Gavin] accidentally locked me in the car and the alarm was going off, so people were coming out of B&Q hearing the alarm and looking at the car, and then seeing it's Charlotte Church in there.
Well played: Charlotte gave birth while watching Wales v Japan Rugby World Cup game with boyfriend Gavin Henson

"I was just trying to hide but couldn't - just sitting there having contractions!"

"I wanted to go for a meal in the Toby Carvery but the contractions were every five minutes so we came back."

At home in Cardiff, where the coupled installed a birthing pool, Church watched the rugby with Henson but admitted she "was on gas and air by that point so I wasn't really concentrating".

Ruby was born weighing 6lb 12oz and Church admitted that the pain was "outrageous".

But the star said: "I'm really shocked by how I feel. It's just instant massive amounts of love towards her."

Looking swell: The former party girl has spent most of her pregnancy living quietly in the country

Church said Ruby takes after her dad because she's got "Gavin's bum-chin and his feet".

The couple also explained their choice of name.

"We had names before she was born - Renee, Jasmine, Ella - but she didn't look like any of them. We were saying she had lush red lips, ruby-red lips, and then said: 'Let's call her Ruby.'

"Megan is her middle name after Gavin's grandmother. She's passed away now but everyone spoke about her with such love."

Church insisted she will not hire a nanny.

And she is in no rush to get her figure back: "I think it's sad when people get obsessed with all of that. I'm pretty happy with the way I am and I bagged Gavin so I can't be doing that badly, can I?"

The singer-turned-TV-star may quit her showbiz career to concentrate on motherhood, according to her mum Maria.

Maria told Reveal magazine: "I wouldn't be surprised if she turns her back on fame as well. She never looked for it - it found her.

"All she cares about is being a good mother. And she's doing a pretty good job so far.

"She has hung up her partying shoes for good. You won't be seeing her out on the town for a long while. And she is totally off the booze. In fact, at the moment she's not bothered about having it ever again."

Maria said her famously foul-mouthed daughter didn't swear once during the birth.

"She didn't swear during the whole thing. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true!"

No comments: